Lunes, Hulyo 1, 2019

Healthy, Cool, Calm, Peaceful Future: A Duty, A Journey - Jhong


"I am Jhong, Pedro Boyel Fenis, Jr. A graduate of Agriculture. An agroecology advocate and practitioner, I am a peace and justice advocate. I am 32.

Been active in social and peace movements in the youth sector in 2008 thru the Movement of Young Catalysts for Change (MYCC) as part of the Mindanao Peoples’ Peace Movement (MPPM) – a movement of Tri-Peoples in southern Philippines.

In various exposures, community exchanges and engagements I realized that unequal distribution and access of and to power, wealth and participation made war and conflicts, hunger and injustices, rebellion and destructions, hostilities and biases. My personal commitment pushed me to pursue my interest in Agriculture. I have seen the wealthy potentials of the vast lands in Mindanao but poverty and hunger is pervasive. In some way, having food and control over their economic lives enables peoples and communities to stand together and be free from impositions. It is easier said than done, but it is true in some of my experiences. In my mind there is a necessity of these communities to have an ecological-scientific inspiration to till on their own, reclaim their rights and be instruments in cooling down the earth, calming down conflicts and feeding their families. It has to start somewhere, in their homes and communities.

Since graduation last 2013, I offered my service to a people’s organization advocating and promoting land rights, organic and natural farming – the Democratic Movement of Peasants (DKMP) in Lanao del Norte. I was able to share but substantially I learned from the people and communities.

In AKMK and MPPM respectively I have seen and experienced the diversity and differences of peoples’ faiths, cultures and way of lives but they have many things in common. These peoples and sectors dream of just peace, realization of individual and collective rights, sustainable and inclusive development, a healthy home and earth, etc. And I am very thankful to MPPM in helping me broadened my perspectives and inviting me to join this year’s Japan Peace March.

In the same way that my colleagues from Mindanao who joined the Peace March International Youth Relay: Nino, Vhong, Matet, Butch and Laida – I am deeply honored and grateful for the opportunity to walk with you, to be in solidarity with you to respond to the continuing call of every Hibakusha for justice, peace and nuclear elimination.

I am happily joining the 2019 Japan National Peace March thru the International Youth Relay to join your fight against all forms of weapons of mass destruction. I am also excited to personally experience the inspiring stories of my comrades who have joined before on the eagerness and persistence of the Hibakushas (Nuclear Survivors), labor unions, alternative cooperatives, women organizations, academe, youth, faith-based groups and grassroots organizations in this movement. More importantly, as a Peace and Environment activist, my moral obligation to be one of the many individuals that might be inspiring fellow youth and children in Japan to get involved and help shape a cool, calm, healthy, peaceful future.

KALINAW, HEIWA, PEACE "

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento